Coffee Love Cakes
Show 'em Some Love
Moist (this is the only time we can use this word!), deeply chocolate-y cupcakes are topped with a silky Swiss buttercream that’s spiked with rich espresso. Just in time for a weekend of love!
- 1 batch "Wickedly Woke Chocolate Cupcakes"
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 22 tablespoons unsalted butter (2 sticks plus 6 tablespoons), softened but cool
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 2 tablespoons of prepared espresso (I recommend Raise The Dead Espresso)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- unsweetened cocoa powder for garnish
- chocolate covered espresso beans for garnish
Bake the cupcakes according to the recipe instructions.
Place the egg whites and sugar in a large metal mixing bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture is smooth, thin, and translucent, and it no longer feels gritty when rubbed between the thumb and forefinger (about 10 minutes).
Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk on medium speed until fluffy and stiff, and no hint of warmth remains when you place your hand on the side of the bowl.
Add the butter, a tablespoon at a time, whipping after each addition. If the mixture seems runny, place it in the refrigerator for 10 to 20 minutes, then re-whip.
Fold in the melted chocolate.
Pour in espresso and vanilla in a small bowl and stir together.
Whip the liquid into the chocolate buttercream, then transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a 1M tip.
Pipe the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes, and dust with cocoa powder.
Garnish with a chocolate covered espresso bean.
*If you really love coffee, you can also add 3 tablespoons of instant espresso to the cupcake batter! Just stir it in along with the dry ingredients.